Sunday, October 24, 2010

Big Plans

I have nothing to do this weekend.


Really, nothing. Nothing at all. Over the past many weekends I have either taken trips places, had friends visiting, or had exciting plans involving processing various fruits and vegetables. This weekend? None of that.


Yesterday I got up, wondered why the heck I got up, went back to bed and read “The Neverending Story” for a goodly amount of time. Then I got up, showered, got back into bed and knit. I got up for a few (ok, 6) games of Scrabble and Speed Scrabble with Heath, a dinner cooked by my personal live-in chef Heath (I’m going to miss that boy and his fine squash baking skills) and a walk and talk with my mom on the phone for an hour. Other than these brief digressions I spent the day sitting in my bed knitting. I knit an entire sock. Really. In 8 hours. When I finished the sock I checked to see how far I was in my audio recording of “Wuthering Heights” and I was 8 hours in. The sock and the book started at the same time. Ergo, the sock took 8 hours. I am proud of this fact. (On a side note, Heathcliff? Seriously, crazy character. I think I will need to listen to some P&P to recover.)


I started out today by forcing myself to finish “A Wrinkle in Time” which had rapidly progressed from distasteful to abhorrent. Then I knit some more. I finished a hat. I came out of my room for about 10 minutes in order to be perceived as sociable, but the boys wandered off so I went back to my room. I think I may knit some more.


This is a photo of what my weekend looks like. Note the artfully strewn projects, the laptop reading "Wuthering Heights" aloud to me, the glass of raw milk on my bedside table, and the nachos (did you know that if you make nachos in the oven the cheese doesn't melt, it just gets sort of crinkly? huh.) Tell me you don't envy me.


While I love this leisure, I also feel very strange. I’m used to working, or at least having some sort of structure and plans for the day. I feel almost as if I don’t really exist when I have nothing to do. I feel lazy, and after a day and a half of no work I already feel out of shape and squishy. I would not want this to be my life.


And honestly, what do people who don’t knit DO on days like this? I have heard of these people who don’t have hobbies. I wonder at them. I also don’t understand how people who have desk jobs manage it. I would feel terrible if I sat around all day. How do they do it?


I really don’t know where I’m going with this. I think perhaps just wanted to brag about how I knit an entire sock in one day. (Did I mention that the Yarn Harlot can knit a sock in 10 hours? Yeah. Just sayin.)

No comments:

Post a Comment